This is really a combination of terrain and the weight of the person using the chair. Up hill or on a rocky trail, I actually prefer to use the pull-bar (this accessory is included) since I find that easier on my back. But on the edge of the surf (hard pack sand), I could run, pushing a 180 lb person. That was a blast!
- BMX wheels , yes it definitely can be self-propelled. Since there are no push-rims on the 20″ tires, please wear gloves and grip the tires. Yes, they are actual BMX wheels but with specialized hubs/bearings and our patented Quick-Mount axle plate. The seat is low and so the dynamics will not be good for the long ride – you will feel the strain on the front of your arms. I just took it out of my VW and wheeled to the end of my cul-de-sac and back.
- Balloon tires, make this more difficult to self-propel. I can turn myself around and get another view on hard pack sand; but not much more than that.
The trail chair pricing includes US domestic freight in the contiguous states (sorry Alaska, Hawaii, Porto Rico, and Guam). The balloon tire set is included; BUT the BMX wheel set is an additional $85. For current prices please see the offers on our IndieGoGo product launch.
Currently we are only offering the one color combination
- cool-white powder coated finish on the aircraft grade aluminum
- pacific blue mesh seat and sun-shade canopy
- natural finish on the stainless steel fittings
- and a few black plastic end-caps for the tubes
Yes. But it is difficult to quote you a price until we know if you want both sets of wheels and where you live. Please send us an email with your order information and mailing address to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will get you the best shipping price we can find.
We like email, a lot. And prefer that you email your question and comment (and a good time to call you). Please contact email@example.com . However, you may also reach us at (800) 345-1645 during West Coast business hours.
Salt, sand, and grit are not good for moving parts. We recommend that you hose off the chair after heavy use. The wheel bearings are sealed industry standard stainless steel and should not be a problem. If the front wheel assembly is sticky, try some soap (it worked for me).
We are planning to ship within 90 days from the IndieGoGo campaign. Our prototype (the one used in the videos) proves the functionality and the tooling requirements. We will post regular production updates on this site .
First of all, your trail chair will arrive defect free. If you have any problems with the components or with shipping damage, please contact us right away. Since this is a “rough use” outdoor product: under normal circumstances you will get dings and smudges. Please do not over fill the tires; they need to be soft for the trail and to provide a smooth ride. We warranty the manufactured parts of the trail chair from 1 year of receipt. We will carry replacement parts; please let us know how we can help.
Overall width is 38.5 in (98 cm) with balloon wheels and 25.5 in (65 cm) with BMX wheels. The turning radius is 56 in (142 cm). The distance from the front bumper to the backrest in the upright position is 70 in (178 cm). When the backrest is in the relaxed position the overall length is 88 in (224 cm).
The frame weighs 30 Lbs. (13.6 Kg). The balloon wheels with axel plates weigh 15 Lbs. (6.8 Kg). The BMX wheels with axel plates weigh 7 Lbs. lbs (3.2 Kg). So all together in the carry bag, the trail chair weighs 52 Lbs. (23.6 Kg).
The main carry bag (including the two balloon wheels) is about 48 x 22 x 20 inches (122 x 56 x 51 cm) and fits nicely in an SUV. I did pack the wheels separately when I rented a Camry, and that works just fine. In order to check the Trail Chair as regular-sized luggage for the airlines, we provide a separate carry bag for the balloon tires.